The Roxbury Fish Hatchery was the first fish culture station in Vermont. Built in 1891, the fish hatchery was a response to Vermont’s decreasing population of native fish. The State Legislature appropriated funding for the erection of a hatchery to repopulate Vermont’s lakes and streams. Roxbury was chosen for its abundant spring water, proximity to the Central Vermont Railroad line, and the donation of land by a local individual, the Hon. E. H. Spaulding. (from NPS Roxbury Fish Hatchery – link below)
The Roxbury Fish Hatchery is on VT Rt. 12A, 2 miles south of Roxbury Village, on a narrow, ten-acre strip of land stretching between the highway and the Central Vermont Railroad line.
In 2011, Tropical Storm Irene severely damaged the Fish Hatchery property and it has been closed to the public since then, although it remains an active station. FEMA and State funds have been made available and reconstruction is set to begin in 2018-9.