Roxbury, at the southern extremity of Washington County, fifteen miles from Montpelier, was granted November 6, 1780, and chartered to Benjamin Emmons and sixty-four others, August 6, 1781. The settlement was begun in 1789, by Christopher Huntington, who came originally from Mansfield, Conn., but had resided a short time in Norwich previous to his removal to this town.
The town was organized March 24, 1796, and contains an area of 23,040 acres, and is noted chiefly for its marble. There is an inexhaustible supply of the true verd antique, the composition and appearance of which are so identical with that obtained from ancient ruins, that the best judges have mistaken one for the other. Although these quarries have been opened but a short time, this beautiful stone has already found its way into the new capitol extension at Washington, and into the parlors of the wealthy in New York and Paris. The committee for the erection of the Franklin Monument in Boston, after subjecting it to the severest tests of heat, cold, and pressure, selected it for that purpose.
Roxbury is situated on the height of land between Winooski and White rivers, and has two villages – Roxbury and East Roxbury, at each of which is a post-office; one Union meeting-house; and eleven school districts. The Vermont Central Railroad passes through the town, and here rises to an altitude of 997 feet above the sea level. Population, 967; valuation, $210,000.
From the History and Description of New England – Vermont, by A.J. Coolidge and J.B. Mansfield; published in Boston by Austin J. Coolidge, in 1860.
For information about the Roxbury Historical Society, please contact
Susan Nevins at (802) 485-5619 or by e-mail: email@example.com