Roxbury VT has a Cemetery Commission, which is very active in restoring, preserving, and cataloguing the graves in all the public cemeteries in town. The Town of Roxbury now oversees the Roxbury Town Cemetery. It was formerly overseen by the now-dissolved Roxbury Cemetery Association.
Roxbury, like many Vermont towns, has a number of small family cemeteries held on private property, that are not accessible to the public.
Roxbury Cemetery Commission
John ‘Jack’Cashman, Chairperson
VOCA Features our Roxbury Cemetery Commission
In the April 2022 issue of the VOCA newsletter, the Vermont Old Cemetery Association has a wonderful article on the Roxbury Cemetery Commission and their great work.
The following is a list of Town cemeteries in Roxbury and East Roxbury, VT, that are open to the public.
East Roxbury Cemetery – It was first used in 1820 and contains 200 graves. Near Ladd Road, off E. Roxbury Road. Map.
Orcutt Cemetery – Near the intersection of Tracy Hill Rd & Beaver Hill Road.
Roxbury Cemetery – on VT Rte 12A, Roxbury VT. Currently active cemetery.
Notable Grave: Carlos H. Rich. Civil War Congressional Medal of Honor Recipient. Served in the Civil War as a First Sergeant in Company K, 4th Vermont Volunteer Infantry. He was awarded the CMOH for his bravery at the Battle of the Wilderness, Virginia on May 5, 1864. His citation simply reads “Saved the life of an officer“. His Medal was issued January 4, 1895. Bio by: Russ Dodge
Roxbury First Settlers Cemetery – Established in 1795. Last burial in 1938. Has 200 graves. Also known as Roxbury First Settlers Cemetery and Alvin Braley First Settler Cemetery.
Roxbury Flats Cemetery – It was first used in 1828 and contains 6 graves. The cemetery is on the west side of Vermont Route 12A, just north of Thurston Hill Road, between Route 12A and the railroad tracks.
Steele Hill Cemetery – Also known as Roxbury First Settlers Cemetery East- Established about 1813, the last burial took place in 1950. Located on Steele Hill Road, East Roxbury.
West Hill – First Settlers Cemetery – The West Hill – First Settlers Cemetery is located on the west side of Carrie Howe Road, .1 mile south of Warren Mountain Road. The cemetery is not visible from the road, but up a steep incline and then a short distance into the woods. According to the book, Burial Grounds of Vermont (1991), the cemetery was first used in 1801 and last used in 1866.
Winch Hill Cemetery
Old cemetery, located on right side of Winch Hill Road when traveling south, just past Roxbury/Northfield town line; about 1 tenth mile past Winch Hill Extension sign. This may have been a cemetery for indigents. Most stones are small and unmarked. Some graves.
Roxbury Cemetery Records, early to 1870, are available on microfilm at the Family History Library.
For information on Vermont cemeteries, visit the Vermont Old Cemeteries Association (VOCA), an amazing resource for all things related to Vermont’s old cemeteries.